Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Should the IBJJF World Championship Require Qualifying Rounds?

For this, I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.  Should the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) require athletes to qualify for the Mundials?  If so, what would be a good standard to meet in order to "qualify?"

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine as we were watching the Mundials this evening at his house (I owe him a huge thanks for having my family and I over).  We were thinking that you would get a more realistic definition of "world champ" if the IBJJF required athletes to participate in certain qualifying rounds.

Currently, there is no requirement, and anyone can compete in the "World Championship."  Now, for people who live in far-off lands, don't have IBJJF competitions in their country at all, or simply can't afford to compete more than once a year, this is perfect.  It allows anyone and everyone, regardless of their record, to take a shot at the title.  There is a certain aspect of purity involved in running the competition this way.  It's the very definition of the American dream, coming from nowhere, and making something of yourself through nothing more than merit.

Some might argue however, that this isn't reason enough to allow everyone in to the competition.  Should people have to qualify?  With the Mundials occurring in southern California (a dense population of jiu-jitsuka), anyone in the area can compete.  There is a certain fairness factor here that is violated for the guys who are truly great, have competed time and again, travel the country to go to multiple competitions, and have to fly from all over the country just to get to the competition.  I have a friend in my gym that competed this year.  He did phenomenal.  But he competes regularly in competitions up and down the east coast, and spends, literally, thousands of dollars every year just to compete.  The trip to the worlds alone cost him a lot of money, while the "locals" may ONLY pay the entrance fee.  Obviously, the IBJJF has nothing to do with how much it does or doesn't cost a competitor to travel, but they can eliminate those who have not "earned the right" to compete in the worlds, don't suffer from jet lag, and treat the Mundials as nothing more than another tournament.  If I were a top competitor from Europe for example, and came here only to get injured by someone who has never competed and doesn't even fully understand the rules, I would be furious. 

Lets take the rule set as it currently applies, and apply it to the UFC.  Let's pretend for one second that there is no requirement to be "asked" to fight in the Octagon.  Let's pretend that UFC 200, is going to be an open format tournament, and anyone can compete.  Is it fair for the Pros to have to fight their way through people who have never fought, just so they can make there way back in to the group of elite mixed martial artists where they belong?  I'm not so sure that it is.  Though the rule set is awesome for the dreamer that simply hasn't been discovered yet, I think this is the wrong format for him to be discovered.

So I guess you understand my stand-point on this debate.  I'm curious what others think about this.  Please, comment and let me know, ESPECIALLY if you agree with how the rule set is currently.  I'd really like to hear the other side as well.  It's possible that I just don't understand it.  Or maybe I'm just jealous of all the other blue belts that live in southern California and only have to drive an hour to compete at the worlds.  I'm pretty sure I would be there, but I also compete in other tournaments, and would still respect the tournament if it wasn't open to guys like me, who have not earned the right to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment